NOTE: There are 2 written Homework Assignments for this class. Due dates November 14 and December 12.
Session 1: Dr. Billy Belk
Introduction/Early Church History
Fall 2020, North American Bible Institute
Description: Introduction of Early Church History covers the life and growth of the church from the generation of church leaders immediately following the Apostles to the end of Christian persecution by the Roman Empire (late 1st century through the 4th century).
(1) Understand how the Christian church continued to function and grow as leadership passed from the apostles to the Church Fathers and then to the leaders tasked with the theological direction of the church once persecution was no longer the main concern.
(2) Understand the relevance of the past and how it has contributed to our faith and practice in the present.
Jones, Timothy Paul. Christian History Made Easy. Torrance, CA: Rose Publishing, 2009.
(1) Class meeting on Saturday, October 3, 2020. Introductory lecture and handouts will be available.
(2) Read the Introduction and chapters, 1-4, of the textbook. Using the textbook as a reference, use a character OR a time-period such as the second century OR an event described in the reading to write a minimum of 3 pages (double spaced). The paper should include the following:
A… Historical Context… What was happening in the time and place of your subject that gives it context? If your subject is a person, what were the circumstances or crisis around him that caused him to act OR if your subject was an event, what were the circumstances that led to the event OR if your subject was a period in time, what was happening in the world?
B… Resolution... What action(s) was/were taken AND what was resolved or established?
C… Relevance… How has the historical character, event, OR time-period contributed to Christian faith and practice.
Writing assignment for this class is due November 14, 2020.
Session 2: Pastor Joe Query
Description: Discuss the Reformation of the Church through History
Objective: To become familiar at a high level with the key Reformation movements and leaders.
Textbook: Will utilize the textbook from Session 1, plus a series of slides with highlights of the Reformation.
No specific homework assignment for this session.
Session 3: Dr. Billy Belk
Introduction/Baptist History in America
Description: Introduction of Baptist History in America covers the emergence of the Baptist faith in the earliest years of colonial America through its growth throughout the colonies and its contributions to religious liberty in the new nation.
(1) Understand the circumstances that led to the founding of the first Baptist groups in America.
(2) Understand why, where, and how the Baptist faith grew in colonial America.
(3) Understand the circumstances in post-colonial America that led to the direct contribution of Baptist leaders in the formation of the U.S. Constitution’s Bill of Rights particularly the insistence upon religious liberty.
No textbook; students will read the following articles:
(1) Class meeting on Saturday, October 3, 2020. Introductory lecture and handouts will be
(2) Read the five articles and write a minimum of 3 pages (double spaced). The paper should include the following:
A… Historical Context… What were the primary circumstances that led to the rise of Baptists in America according to the articles?
B… Resolution... How did Baptists distinctively contribute to the American Christian community?
C… Relevance… How did Baptists contribute to the principles of liberty in the United States of America?
Writing assignment for this class is due December 12, 2020.